The oats and flax meal are toasted in the oven to get an extra little bump of flavor and texture.
- 1 cup oats
- ½ cup wheat bran
- 1 cup rice krispies
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, roasted
- 1/8 cup almonds, chopped
- ¼ cup dried fruit, chopped (I used a mix of dried mangoes and cranberries)
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ tablespoon almond butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
1.Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8 x 8 glass baking dish, set aside. Place oats and wheat bran on a baking sheet and toast for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned a fragrant. Reduce heat to 300°F.
2.Meanwhile, place sesame seeds in a pan and roast over medium heat until lightly browned and fragrant, about 4 minutes.
3. In a large bowl place toasted oats and wheat bran, rice krispies, sesame seed, almonds, and dried fruit, set aside.
4.In a small sauce pan over medium heat, place honey, maple syrup, almond butter, and brown sugar. Heat, stirring occasionally, until brown sugar is melted, about 3-5 minutes. Pour honey mixture over dry mixture and mix quickly until combined. Press granola into prepared baking dish with spatula. Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool completely (it may still be soft when you first take it out of the oven). Cut into desired sizes.