I have had an insane week. It’s been one of those weeks where you wonder how you will be able to focus any longer, or even stay awake for that matter. I’ve had lots of homework and exams and meetings and classes. I need something to bring me back down to earth. Something like black bean tacos?
Okay, I realize that I can’t be the only one who gets this excited for a tasty taco; but seriously, the most exciting thing that happened to me this week was turning in my organic chemistry exam. Plus, these tacos are pretty awesome!
I love homemade tacos. Maybe it’s because you can basically put anything in them and they will taste great, unless it’s peanut butter and spam or something like that. Don’t even go there…
I think purple onion would go really well in there too, since it’s a bit more mild and it’s purple (my favorite color)
Black Bean Tacos with Spicy Peach Salsa
Makes 4 tacos
- 4 large whole wheat tortillas (the bigger, the easier to roll)
- Peach Salsa, recipe follows
- 1 15oz. can black beans
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 2 cups purple cabbage, chopped
- 2-3 cups romaine (or mixed greens, red/green leaf lettuce), chopped
- taco seasoning (for the beans), to taste
- 2-3 medium peaches, chopped
- 1/4 cup white (or purple) onion, diced
- 1/2 cup green (or red, yellow, orange) pepper, chopped
- 1 medium or 2 small limes, zested and juiced.
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and minced (If you want more heat, leave the seeds in or use a whole jalapeno)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- In a medium bowl, combine peaches, onion, green pepper, lime zest, lime juice, jalapeno, and cilantro. Mix well. It tastes really delicious if it has a chance to “marinate” in the fridge for an hour or so, but this isn’t necessary.
- Preheat oven to warm setting, or about 200 degrees F. Place tortillas in foil and heat in oven until warm.
- Meanwhile, heat black beans in a small pot until hot. Season with taco seasoning, if desired.
- Assemble warmed tortillas with salsa, black beans, and veggies. ROLL and EAT.