I love breakfast.
I didn’t come to this realization when I was young, though. For years I complained about how much I despised breakfast, most probably because I still hadn’t found choices that I really liked. Only recently did I discover just how much I enjoyed waking up in the morning and deciding what exactly I want to eat. Hot cereal or thick greek yogurt and fruit. A savory dutch baby or thick slices of homemade bread and jam. I fantasize about all kinds of tasty breakfast treats all the time.
Recently, I purchased a container of gorgeous, sweet blueberries that were asking to be paired with tart lemon. I found a recipe for blueberry pancakes that I modified slightly and set about making a healthy and filling breakfast that was very satisfying.
Don’t blueberries just sing summer? Okay, maybe not sing… Whisper?
Whisk the egg, milk, salt, and sugar until it’s nice and frothy. I found that the pancakes aren’t the sweetest, which I actually prefer. If you are someone who enjoys a sweeter pancake, I would add 1 to 2 more tablespoons of sugar here.
Gently whisk the dry mixture into the wet mixture. Be sure not to over mix the batter (stop once it appears to be just combined), there’s nothing worse than tough pancakes. Actually, melted ice cream that has been left in the car is worse…
Toss in the blueberries, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Never “zested”? Go here!
Plop the pancakes on the pan using a 1/4 cup measure. This just ensures uniform pancakes. Unless you don’t like uniform pancakes…
Ahhhh…. Golden brown and delicious.
The juices of the blueberries explode when you cut into it. Glorious…
Whole-Wheat Blueberry and Lemon Pancakes (lightly adapted from All Recipes)
Makes about 10 pancakes
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk, plus more if necessary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (but if you like it sweeter, try 2 or 3)
- 1 cup blueberries
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- Powdered Sugar (optional garnish)
- Butter (optional)
- Maple Syrup (optional)
- Sift together flour and baking powder, set aside.
- Beat together the egg, milk, salt and sugar in a bowl. Stir in flour until just moistened, add blueberries and lemon juice, and stir to incorporate.
- Preheat a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat, and spray with cooking spray or a light pat of butter. Pour approximately 1/4 cup of the batter into the pan for each pancake. Cook until bubbles begin to form in batter and bottom is golden brown, about 1-1/2 minutes. Flip, and continue cooking until both sides are golden brown.